Wednesday, January 25, 2006

The Neighborhood

Announcing the dreaded return of the hypertonic pelvic floor: incontinence and pain, probably the result of back surgery. I gotta drink less or no coffee and do more kegels. What perceptive morsel of insight can I write about this topic? I am utterly disgusted. Urinating on one's self is an act of degradation, and wholly uncontrollable under these circumstances. It is not enough to soak everything, just enough to send a message that I am revolting. More to the point, I suppose, is that my body is revolting. 'Stop working so hard,' it says. 'Put me to sleep!' Or maybe 'give me some yoga.' Still, when a mini-pad becomes a necessity, and it is reassuring to have 20 pairs of underwear, a gal becomes disheartened.

I am not sure that any other proper human being - like not counting dogs in heat, or gorillas - actually has a hypertonic pelvic floor, except for me. The urogynecologist's office and the physical therapist's office were both strangely empty when I was first diagnosed. Any other female I did see was obviously virginal, pure, and without any unsightly pubic hair to speak of. Not the sorta babe who has painful tightening of the cunt. That would be me, the sexually questionable and gynecologically sordid type who might - in theory only - have an extra nodule inside the vagina from a lousy stitch job after an episiotomy deemed necessary when both babies chose to fly out like criminals. Which obviously, we learn now, they were.

So the plan to reflect meaningfully on this obscure hypertonic not-supersonic-at-all malady remains half-inflated, something like the stretched muscle reaching from the inside of my pelvis to my back. I've nothing clever to say about pissing my bed and cramping up. Okay, one thing: vaginal deliveries are overrated and the unpleasant sequellae go appallingly unreported. My back, my vagina, the whole pelvic neighborhood! Those damn kids.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Ok, so as one who fears her comments might usually be too ladylike, I'm delighted to see the post-vaginal-childbirth vagina as a ranting subject, because I was just yesterday thinking that I'm a sister with something to say about THAT.

    I don't know about hypertonic pelvic floor, but I can tell you that I was NOT expecting to periodically feel as though the innards in there might be moving outwards -- ?? Hello? I've casually mentioned it to the midwife, who offers reassurance that everything is as stationary and secured as it ought to be ... but still, I just can not get used to the sensation that the effort to move a stubborn bowel might someday send much more out than intended. And there's also the surprising, um, looseness, vaginally speaking. I kegel when I think of it, though generally feel as though I must be an inadequate kegeler or things would be a bit perkier down there.

    So sister, I am with you on the appallingly undisclosed sequellae -- and I thank you for offering a place to get this rant off my droopy (gelatinous, really) chest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martine-

    What a glamorous name, really. Perhaps you have some sort of uterine-gravity hysteria? Or could it be that the weight of carrying your beloved child changed matters permanently? I can't help but imagine the smiling midwife has been snatched by the women's-bodies-are-beautiful cult that ignores our surprise when we have the baby and everyhting is just a wee bit or very much changed. The little doober pushed against your cervix so much that now you cervix is like, 'that was a good stretch'!

    Good luck to you, your looseness, and the Jello.

    ReplyDelete