Monday, January 01, 2007

The Good Stuff In Me


Ta-da! It's a new year. I haven't cared in the past - it seemed a small stretch from the thirty-first to the first - but now it seems significant. This year I am going to consider seriously my many strengths and spend more time thinking about the good stuff in me. Today, for example, I had a jungle party and I decorated the house with bananas, green leftover Christmas crap on discount from the store (vines), and some tropic-esque stuffed animals. We made pina-coladas and put in some actual pineapple. Becca and her kids came over, and my sister stopped by.

But back to the positive parts of me. I am a good teacher and, on occasion, I have had a positive connection with a student. I am a loyal friend, and a great dog-owner. My dog loves me! It's because I know exactly how to take care of him and be his alpha gal. I have no interest in cats, and I believe that that is also a positive attribute.

My silly songs are rather enjoyable. And I can whip one up for any occasion, be it an awkward moment, or a statement of affection for my family. Also, I sing in the car. Not just anything. I sing along to the music I have been obsessing over at that particular time, and I sound really good. To me, anyway. This cheers me on my way to work, and when I get there, I am all "good morning," and "how are you."

Finally, I don't bullshit. I hate bullshit. I say things directly, and I speak with clarity. I am rarely at a loss for words, even when I need to say "I don't know what to say." This is preferable to saying something disingenuous or untrue. I am a good listener, even though I interrupt a lot when I am excited.

The best thing about me is that I am a very emotional person. My life is filled with millions of small and large pieces of sentiment, and I am fortunate to know overwhelming joy, as we all inevitably encounter devastating loss. The very idea of being a bit less emotional, or a bit less perceptive - somehow they go together for me - is unimaginable. I know at times I wear Ball & Chain out - my talk, my ideas, my laughing on the phone, and crying at night. But I don't do boredom, and life with me - and as me - has few dull moments.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:46 AM

    HAPPY NEW YEAR! I agree with all of your positive self-assessment, and think this is a fine vein in which to start the new year. I'm going to go make such a list for myself.

    Thank you for inspiring me, today as ever. And for sharing yourself here.

    Here's to a year with its share of overwhelming joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:52 PM

    and by libby of course I meant martine, because it's hard to keep all my e-lives straight!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a bullshitter either. When I don't know what to say I'll just say, "I don't know what to say and be silent" I hate it when people say crap just because they think you want to hear it...like when someone gives a compliment just because they think it's what you want to hear.
    Happy New Year!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I love all your strengths. It's why I keep coming back here for more.

    May 2007 be a wonderful year for you. You deserve nothing less.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I so appreciate the kind words. The year 2007 - a good number.

    ReplyDelete